We understand that your personal information is important to you. If you have any questions or concerns about our policies or practices, you can get in touch with us in the following ways:
We have a simple approach to data protection and privacy which adheres to the 13 Australian Privacy Principles.
Our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act):
Personal Information is collected on you during your enrolment in order to meet our requirements under the ESOS Act and the National Code. The authority to collect this information is contained in the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, the Education Services for Overseas Student Regulations 2001 and National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007.
Sometimes we also collect personal information from a third party or from a publicly available source, but only if you have consented to your information being used in this way, or would reasonably expect us to collect it in this way.
Use and Disclosure
We only use your personal information for the purpose which was requested of us, or for the purposes which directly relate to one of our functions or activities. We will not provide your personal information to other entities or bodies, or any other party unless one of the following applies (as per and in line with APP 6):
- you have consented;
- you would reasonably expect, or have been informed, that information of such kind would be passed on to those individuals, entities or bodies;
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law;
- information collected about you can be provided, in certain circumstances, to the Australian Government and designated authorities and, if relevant, the Tuition Assurance Scheme and the ESOS Assurance Fund Manager.
- it is necessary for the enforcement of a criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue; or
- it may prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life or health.
What else do we collect from your online interactions with us
- Site Performance Indicators: these give us information on how our website is used, so that we can make the necessary improvements or amendments to make your experience a better one.
- Support Logs: if you contact us via livechat, we will retain the information provided in order to process your requests. This may include transcripts, emails and any other details relayed by you in relation to one of our products or services.
- Location-based Services: we may collect, use and/or share your location data so as to provide you with location-based services. Please be aware that your location data may only be tracked through an opt-in process which most browsers and devices will notify you of. No location data will be collected without your express authorisation.
- Cookies and Usage Data:
- You may adjust your preferences for how Google advertises to you by visiting the Google Ad Preferences page. Alternatively, if you do not consent to the processing of information about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above, you can block the usage of cookies by selecting the appropriate settings on your browser.
- Social Networking: By using social networking widgets to interact with our website/related systems, you do so according to the terms and privacy policies of the respective social networking providers' widgets. 'Liking' or 'Following', and content using these widgets, may become visible to your social networks. Your publicly available social networking data in turn is aggregated by social networks and then provided to us for marketing purposes.
When it comes to direct marketing, no one likes being spammed. All our emails are sent as per the guidelines set out by the Australian Communications and Media Authority and we will only send you advertising that is customised to your interests, characteristics or general location.
Opt-out: As with all direct marketing correspondence that you receive from us via email, there is always an unsubscribe button or link located at the bottom of the email. With this you can manage which messages you receive from us.
Access and Correction
All requests for access to your personal information may be directed to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let us know if you find that any information we hold about you is incorrect so we can correct our records.
International students are legally required to inform their education providers of any changes to residential address details within 7 days of the change. This includes email addresses and telephone numbers.
Under Australian privacy law, there may be situations where we cannot provide you with access to your personal information. For instance, if it would reasonably affect someone else's privacy or may pose a threat to someone's life, health or safety. In such instances, we may elect to provide you with a redacted version of our records.
Cross-border Disclosure of Personal Information
Some of your personal information may be disclosed to and stored with other entities located overseas who directly assist us in providing our services (i.e.education agencies, foreign education institutions and industry groups). As per APP 8, we have taken the necessary steps to establish policies and procedures to safeguard the handling of your personal data by our overseas partners.
We take active steps to protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and other misuse. These steps include multilayered password protection and encryption of our IT systems. For security purposes we cannot disclose the specific details of our security protocols, however general questions can be directed to us at email@example.com.
When the personal information that we collect is no longer required, we destroy or delete it in a secure manner.
If you have any complaints or feel that there has been a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, or a registered APP code, please contact us in the following ways:
If you are not completely satisfied with the manner in which our Privacy Officer handles your complaints, you can escalate the matter to the: